Friday, August 15, 2008

Favorite Books and Curriculum - HOTM Meme!

Welcome to the Heart of the Matter Online meme. Every Friday we will feature a different topic for our meme. Mr. Linky is set up below so please share with us your Favorite Curriculum or Books! With the new school year beginning it would be wonderful to hear why your curriculum works for you, new ideas you're looking forward to trying, or really great book ideas you would love to share.



I have had a lot of fun reading everyone's posts for this Meme. We are in our second year of homeschooling preschool so while we haven't tried a ton of products, I have looked into several and we know what we like/works for us :-)

My favorite would have to be Five in a Row! What a wonderful curriculum! We don't follow it exactly as planned but use their reading lists and pick and choose from their MANY lesson options. We supplement with items and units found at Homeschool Share, and I also write a lot of our lessons myself. We love themed Unit Studies (which is totally stating the obvious for any of you who have visited more than once, ha!)

I also LOVE The Heart of Wisdom Teaching Approach by Robin Sampson. I love this approach and will be implementing SO much of it in our schooling. I love her 4 steps and all of her ideas for doing this delight directed approach. This totally fits in line with our family's vision for homeschooling.

While I can go on and on about my favorite books that I have read regarding homeschooling, the other book that is a "can't miss" would be Real Learning by Elizabeth Foss. A very practical, modern approach to Charlotte Mason. While it is written for Catholic homeschoolers, I have found that all of the ideas in her book are applicable to any denomination and is just a breath of fresh air for creating a beautiful and unified family.

For more great reviews and favorites, you have to check out HOTM's Meme!

4 comments:

Montserrat said...

I LOVE unit studies too! I've heard a lot about Five In A Row but have yet to try it.

momtofivekids said...

As you know, we've been using FIAR, too. It's been great for my 8yo who has some special needs. I'd like to read Real Learning. Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie said...

I love HOW! And, you know that I love unit studies from visiting my blog. :) We fita nice blend of the two as well. Have fun with your units. I love your unit study plan. It's going to be so much fun at your house!

Angela DeRossett said...

We have never used FIAR but I have been eyeballing it lately since there have been so many good things said about it! Thanks for the recommendation!