Monday, June 2, 2008

Trusting My Instincts

Our girls are 14 months apart. In November of 2008, Jordan will turn 4, and in January of 2009, Cali will turn 3. Since they are so close in age, I plan on keeping them together for all subjects, unless one develops a particular unique interest or is developmentally ready for something before the other (for example, Reading instruction, although both are doing amazing thanks to Leap Frog videos!).

We have been using a year round schooling model and plan on continuing as such, taking breaks as needed and for holidays. Since we will school year round, a starting and ending point for the year can be hard to determine. I could start in August or September, following a public school model, but since the rest of our lives are based around the calendar year, that is what we will use as our school year as well (January - December).

Even though our next school year will not technically start for another six months, we have been schooling pretty much non-stop for over nine months. Mommy was needing a break for a couple weeks to get recharged and put my changing thoughts regarding the girls education on paper. When we first realized we were being called to home educate our children, I was swayed by several different educational approaches. Looking back, I acted as though I had something to prove, like "I can do this" so I put way too much emphasis on academics in the early years. I don't think the girls or outsiders would be able to really tell the difference between my approach then and today, but it was definitely an inward pressure I put upon myself. Now that we have been doing this for well over a year, and I have been exposed to and read so many wonderful books and educational philosophies, I have been able to better identify my educational approach.

I realize this approach can change in the way it is implemented through the years, and that my personal approach might not end up being the best fit for my children -- and I am OK with tweaking and revisiting ideas as the years go by -- but right now I am feeling more confident in my abilities and my plans. The books and people that have most influenced me and helped me to realize my own beliefs and thoughts are: Cindy Rushton, Ruth Beechick, Robin Sampson, Elizabeth Foss, Katrina Kenison, Ami Brainerd, Loree Pettit, the Lamberts, and of course, Charlotte Mason!

Words and Phrases like "living books," "love of learning," "whole language," "read alouds," "narration," "copywork," "dictation," "notebooking," "nature study," "picture study" and "composer study" are all things I had never really heard about before, yet they have all captured my heart. I have a vision of what I want our educational experience to be -- I can say "OUR" educational experience because I love that I am learning right along side my girls, even at the preschool age!! I have learned so much from Magic School Bus, Homeschool Share and Five in a Row in the past year, and it truly excites me about the future!

I just finished reading The Language Wars and Other Writings for Homeschoolers by Ruth Beechick and am eagerly diving into Real Learning: Education in the Heart of the Home by Elizabeth Foss. I am being inspired and learning to believe in myself and the ideas that I have, beliefs that I have been fighting because they don't feel like the traditional schooling that I remember as a child. . . But then again, why should it? I have the ability to customize my children's education, to draw on all the MANY resources out there and provide for them the education that I wish I had experienced and could have had if my poor teachers hadn't had to worry about 30 other kids as well. To instill a love of learning that will hopefully last a lifetime. . . a love of books, a love of family, and a love of God. Our role as homeschooling parents is indeed a MIGHTY one, one that will require much prayer and faith to accomplish, but one that will be so worth it in the end!

Next up, I am going to be posting our Preschool Plans for the rest of this year and for the 2009 school year, as well as our family's educational goals for the year. :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel, I'm excited to read about the new things you are learning about. The things you mentioned are things that have captured my heart too!! :) Isn't homeschooling grand?!? :)

Anonymous said...

I'll have to look up the authors that are unfamiliar to me. I think it is good to continually explore educational philosophies that are of an interest. I always like to research as much as I can. I don't want to miss anything. This is an ongoing process!

Beck's Bounty said...

Thanks for contributing to the CM Blog Carnival.

MomToCherubs
http://www.becksbounty.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

My oldest two children are two years apart and they do each subject together. It works well.
Have you read 'When Children Love to Learn'? Also 'For the Children's Sake' that is another good book.

Michele said...

Thank you for your honest insight. Are the authors you are reading Christians?

As I read your posts and "get to know" you better through your blog, I see a lot of myself in you (especially the internal pressure you said you were putting on yourself to succeed or prove something). As I've said earlier, I appreciate your honesty and hope to learn SOOO much this coming year. Our prayer is that the Lord will either confirm our desire to homeschool...or sway it elsewhere. What a priviledge to be able to teach you children!