HOTM Review: The Barefoot Book of Ballet Stories
Can I just tell you how excited I was to review The Barefoot Book of Ballet Stories? As mom to two preschool princesses/future ballerinas, this book was a perfect fit for us! What I love the MOST is that it truly can grow with your child. Confidently, I can share with you my opinion for the preschool set, as this is my experience, but I cannot imagine any girl who would not fall in love with this book!
My daughters, at the ages of two and three, immediately fell in love with the beautiful artwork. So did I! The cover greets you with a lovely ballerina surrounded by delicate pink roses, posing in front of a castle that is the picture of every fairy tale you have ever read. The pages inside are full of both half-page and full-page photos that are simply breathtaking in detail, color, movement and design. We also loved the lyrical tone of the stories themselves, written by Jane Yolen and Heidi E. Y. Stemple. They serve as perfect read aloud choices for this age group and above.
The ballets highlighted in this anthology are: Tchaikovsky’s The Sleeping Beauty; Delibes’ Coppelia; Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake and The Nutcracker; Prokofiev’s Cinderella; Pickard’s Shim Chung; and Ravel’s Daphnis and Chloe. By compiling all of these stories into one collection, not only does your child get exposure to some of the most famous ballets in history, but it also provides plenty of fodder for some sneak attack educational opportunities!
As the book jacket promises. . .




3 comments:
This book looks great! Now that I have a girl there are so many good books out there that I never concidered with reading to my boys. She loves princesses and ballerinas, too.
You asked about what my 11 yo is using, he is on his second unit in Beyond FIAR Vol. 2 ( we didn't do Vol. 1)
You also asked about pizza quesadillas. Here is how you make them: Take a flour tortilla and spread one half with pizza sauce (or spaghetti sauce). Then add whatever toppings you want (pepperoni, onions, mushrooms, etc) on top of the sauce. Then add a layer of cheese. Fold the tortilla in half, butter the top side, then put it on a frying pan or griddle and butter the other side. Fry until lightly browned on both sides. Enjoy!
My daughter would probably like this too. I may have to check it out!
Post a Comment