Getting through my thick skull
Good Morning Everyone!
What a week! In times past, when I would go several days without posting, it would be because of a natural disaster or a lot of running the streets. This week, however, we stayed home all day, everyday. So what has kept me from getting a start on my mountain of blog-catching up? My wonderful girls, the beautiful world outside our windows, and lots of baking, books and fun. . . and a little God-led heart change!
I have taken notice of a handful of times in my life when God has not only laid something on my heart, He has decided to back it up with completely changing my heart towards something. Other things, such as my self esteem or weight, He prefers me to work on, so I can "truly earn" my new mindset. Apparently, this one is either too important -- or I have taken too long to "Get it" on my own -- that He has decided to just change my heart and mindset immediately.
This week, our days were spent maybe watching 30 minutes - 1 hour of television during the day. . . period. I have spent maybe the same amount of time on the Internet daily. . . period. That includes checking emails, forums, websites and blogs! I simply have wanted to calm our days down, focus on each other and what is truly important. The radio has been on, we have done much dancing around and my house has never looked cleaner -- although this time it is with my girls help instead of putting on a video to keep them occupied! I know that they have gotten older this past year (and going from 2.5 - 3.5 years old and 1.5 - 2.5 years old is a big help), but I have made no secret of my struggle between keeping a house clean and having a wonderful day of learning and fun with my girls. I have shared my struggle with having preschoolers truly help me clean. . . maybe all this time it was ME that was causing the trouble. . . anyway I digress.
God has also finally helped me to figure out my "Daily Routine." My problem before was that I couldn't NOT get locked into a time scheduled routine. I would write things out and feel that they naturally led to "times" (such as an hour for cleaning, thirty minutes for an exercise video, thirty minutes to cook, etc), and they would also naturally flow at certain times of day (breakfast at a set time-- say 7:30-- and that would take 30 minutes, which would flow into exercising for 30 minutes at 8:00). I would read how it is better to just have a routine that would flow with the day, thus allowing for those "things" that always come up that cause me to feel as though I am trying to beat the clock or always behind. . . . but read about it as much as I would, it simply wouldn't happen. That changed this week.
What made it finally click? Apparently my intelligence in this regard is at a preschool level! What has made the difference is making a few picture charts for the girls that allow them to set up habits and know what happens when. It gets them so excited to follow and they read it all day! And I love that the pictures next to the words also give great reading practice. But it is best to keep it uncluttered, so there are no times. Simply a picture of a bed next to the words "Make Bed," and a plate of pretzels next to the words "Snack Time." We have followed this new picture/time-less routine all week and the result can only be what I assume those wise souls were talking about. . . Joy. Peace. Fun. Contentment. No constant checking of the clock or reshuffling things -- simply rolling onto the next thing on the chart. Sigh......
Besides the change in television and Internet, we have added in daily exercise and so far I have exercised everyday with the girls. . . so I am starting again, but this time since it is on my handy dandy picture chart that the girls read daily, I am thinking/hoping/praying that this time it sticks -- and when I am not "in the mood," I am sure my well-intentioned, must-follow-the-rules oldest will kick my butt. :-)
So, sorry to appear flaky this week in not posting. I will start doing better, as my plan is to start blogging at night while watching television with my husband, which he understands since it is simply my form of scrapbooking and I won't be surfing the web or anything. We also know that our family uses this blog as a means of keeping up with what is going on at Il Maniero (Italian for "the manor house," a new name we are trying out for our house, inspired by my recent obsession with all things Jane Austen. . . all the homes in her novels have a name. . . yes, I am a dork but it works and we have fun, so leave me alone lol).
I will post next week on our Transportation week which was a lot of fun, and begin the catch-up list previously posted.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend with your families. . . I know we will as both LSU and the Saints play this weekend! WOO HOO



7 comments:
What a great post. Did you see that I made some schedule cards on my PassportAcademy.com blog? You can download them there.
I feel some inspiration from your post particularly about my internet time. I will need to pray about this, this week. I am struggling as well. I know the Lord is trying to teach me something...I am stubborn and slow to learn!
Glad to see you back! I like your idea of a picture schedule. We have a basic routine but I bet my daughter would like a schedule like that!
I've missed ya but I know exactly what you mean. The blog world will consume you if you let it. ;)
I'm excited to hear about your week with the girls and WooHoo for LSU!
love ya!
Glad you are settling into a routine. He has spoken similar to me. It gives you a different point of view when you step away from all of the distractions. Have fun with those cute babies! :)
Thank you for this post! I needed to hear every word! Decreasing our tv/computer time, and increasing our exercise time, are all things we need to work on! Thanks a lot!
thanks for the link to kidswhothink.blogspot.com!
Time schedules are frustrating. Some people can do it, but for me it just causes stress and feeling badly about myself. Glad to hear you're having so much fun with your little blessings!
Post a Comment