Sunday, April 13, 2008

Experiencing Joy in the Ministry of Motherhood. . .

"This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote
itself to making you happy." - George Bernard Shaw

Do you view your role as a Mother to be a “mighty one?” I do. I believe with all my heart that Motherhood is a Ministry, and that we have been called and equipped by God to raise up the next generation. I must admit, I didn’t always feel this way.

About a year and a half ago, I was really struggling with what I felt was a calling to homeschool my two beautiful girls. I knew that I loved being a mother, and that the more I thought about homeschooling, the more I fell in love with the idea, but I wondered if it was enough. I had just gotten done reading The Purpose Driven Life and I was trying to find what it was that I was uniquely shaped to do. In my mind, I somehow assumed the only way I could truly be used by God was within the church, so I looked into Youth Ministry. I found some great programs and it all sounded wonderful, but it truly was not where my heart was . . . My heart was with my family and with homeschooling.

I continued this internal struggle until last April when I attended a Walk to Emmaus retreat with my church. I didn’t know what to expect from the retreat, but I went into the weekend prayerfully, asking God to clearly show me what He wanted for my life. Why do I continue to be surprised when He answers above and beyond my expectations?!? Our God is so good! Imagine my shock when . . .

To read the rest of this post, please visit The Heart of the Matter Online.




2 comments:

Lisa~ said...

Walk to Emmaus! Welcome to the 4th day! (ok so you have been in your 4th day for about a year now!)

I went on my first walk in 96?? 97?? and assistant lay director in 98... I’ve been a Cha Cha too!

It was a wonderful experience! What a blessing for you and your husband!

God is so good....

ok, I’m off to finish the article.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

DE COLORES!!! Glad your WTE experience was absolutely positive and spiritually enriching. I made Tres Dias #1 in North Florida and have not been the same since.