Enjoying the Journey
If you have been following this series, you know we have previously discussed things that keep us from experiencing joy in our role as homeschoolers, and more importantly, mothers. I pray that by seeing yourself in some of the examples, you realized you were not alone in the battle against our Enemy, who would love nothing more than to keep all of us in an un-joyful place. Having seen our own struggles mirrored in another’s life, we get a sense of peace and are able to move on. Today we will be discussing ways we can take time in our day to make sure we are enjoying our family, and special traditions and rituals we can incorporate to truly build family unity!
I must confess that this was my favorite part of the survey I conducted. I started compiling answers over three months ago, and the responses were so awesome that I immediately started implementing many of them! Granted, many of them are things that I was already striving to do, but seeing how others made it a daily priority encouraged me to do the same, and my family has been blessed as a result. There were also several moms who confessed in embarrassment that they realized they hadn’t established ANY rituals or traditions unique to their family. . . if this is you, please do not sit there in guilt or shame! Take some of the ideas I will list here and use them as a springboard for creating your own special family moments. It is never too late to start and today is a perfect opportunity!
The way that I have always made sure I was enjoying my family was to stop and ask myself if I had REALLY hugged them, laughed with them, or been silly with them yet that day. Did I abandon all motives and intentions at least once and just sit down with them and sing songs, hug, and join in their play and silliness. Since I am a natural goober, this should come pretty naturally and often it does – but it is just as likely, if I am not careful, to get bogged down in my “to do” list for the day and let these moments pass me by. It seems that I am not alone. Taking time to be intentional about silliness, singing, laughing, and tickling were listed by almost everyone who replied! It just warms my heart to not only know that I have so many kindred spirits out there, but to think of all the joyful homeschool children we are raising, children who are confident and grounded in their parent’s love! This journey truly is a blessing!
Those were things that I have always done, but the ideas gleamed from your responses are what has truly made the difference in our home. . . .
To read more, and find out what suggestions have made the biggest impact on our homeschool and family, visit me at The Heart of the Matter




1 comments:
Great article, Rachel! I enjoyed reading it and giving myself a mental check on what I need to be intentional about!
Have a good week!
Post a Comment