Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Jammin' with the girls

I have been feeling so tired lately, like zero energy. . . I fake it the best I can with the girls, but maybe due to the heat or lack of sleep (ok, yes, I know that is most likely the reason), I have just been BLAH!

This weekend my wonderful husband made me a mixed CD as a fun surprise. It has a bunch of my favorite songs from the past that are all upbeat and really fun! Since the girls were born, if I do get to listen to music that is non-Disney or Noggin related, it is mostly either Christian Contemporary or Country. A lot of the music on the popular channels are just completely ridiculous and disgusting, so I gave up on it once the girls were born (right around the time I heard other friend's children singing lyrics that were SHOCKING!) But, in some ways, I threw the baby out with the bath water, as there are so many songs that just completely lift my spirits and energize me. This CD has many of those songs.

I got to listen to a few of them this weekend, but it wasn't until today that I got to hear the whole thing. The girls and I were cleaning this morning and I decided to put on the CD. Almost instantly, my mood changed. Shortly, the girls and I were dancing around, lip-singing the songs, acting them out, and laughing like crazy. When Opposites Attract came on, I taught them a dance I learned at recess in 4th grade that I realize now is completely silly, but I thought was really cool back then! We did the Roger Rabbit and the Running Man, ran around the house and played follow the leader dance-style, had lunch while "chair dancing" and singing to our food.... you know, the usual complete goober stuff!

For those of you who are interested, here is the playlist on the CD that my awesome husband made me this weekend.... Thank you, baby, for getting me out of the "blah's" and for bringing A LOT of laughter to our day today!

  1. Amy Grant - Baby Baby
  2. Amy Grant - The Lucky One
  3. Jessica Simpson - With You (This is the song I picked for a recent retreat we went on that reminded me of my husband... it is embarrassing to say, but Jessica's "blondeness" is soo like me! This song just speaks so well to how my husband makes me feel)
  4. Christina Aguilara - Come on Over (remix)
  5. Christina Aguilara - Beautiful (not upbeat persay but one of our favorites)
  6. Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation
  7. Janet Jackson - Black Cat
  8. Janet Jackson - All for You
  9. Salt N Peppa featuring En Vogue - Whatta Man (ok, yes this one has some questionable lyrics but (1) by today's standards it is nothing and (2) we were dancing around so much and laughing that I don't think the girls heard a single word lol)
  10. Destiny's Child - Independent Women
  11. Destiny's Child - Jumpin', Jumpin'
  12. Destiny's Child - Survivor
  13. Jennifer Lopez - I'm Real
  14. Jennfier Lopez - Jenny from the Block
  15. Jennifer Lopez - Waiting for Tonight (dance remix)
  16. Pink - There You Go
  17. Paula Abdul - Forever Your Girl
  18. Paula Abdul - Opposites Attract
  19. Dee Lite - Groove is in the Heart
  20. Eddie and the Cruisers - On the Dark Side (I LOVE love love this movie and the sequel... I know, I am a dork! And, yes, I know Eddie is not really the one singing, I have the soundtrack, but it is who I picture)

So, when you are dealing with the "blahs" what music do you jam to? And, what dances from the past have you taught your children that made them look at you like you were completely NUTS?

2 comments:

Angela DeRossett said...

The blahs... that brings out Toby Mac, Kristy Krueger, Modest Mouse and sometimes Matchbox 20.

Anonymous said...

Rachel, I have never met anyone else that had the soundtrack to Eddie and the Cruisers! That is one of my favorites too! In fact we have the exact same taste in "back in the day" music. I love every song on that mix, I might have to make one just like it. You crack me up ;) What a nice honey you have!
Marni