Going to the Beach
This week the girls are so excited -- we are learning about the beach! Except for the cheap sand bags I purchase from Wal-mart, they have yet to see real sand or a beach, and that is exactly what we are learning about ... and then going to on Sunday!!
This is what the girls woke up to this morning! Originally, I had planned this unit because we were going to be reading Night of the Moonjellies and The Raft. . . Well, our library doesn't carry those books, so I decided to just wing it :-) As you can see, we got a TON of books, and this will be a really fun week!
rious George Goes to the Beach, To The Beach! by Linda Ashman, Beach Day! by Patricia Lakin, Ocean Wonders (this isn't really a "book" but a really fun slide book full of colorful pictures), Beach by Elisha Cooper... and what study of the ocean and beaches would be complete without The Little Mermaid and Finding Nemo! :-)
My favorite part of this unit, I must confess, is the video of the Sneetches!! I loved this growing up and was so excited to see it come up under a library search for "beach." It has a few other stories on the tape as well, including Green Eggs and Ham!
We will be using seashells for counting, adding and subtracting, playing with a fun underwater puzzle complete with a magnetic fishing pole, digging in our backyard with sand shovels, role playing life guards and safety in the water, swimming and ending it all
with a family trip to the beach on Sunday!
What are you learning this week?




3 comments:
I'm happy to see your enjoying the book I illustrated, Ocean Wonders!
My best,
Daniel J. Mahoney
Oh how much FUN!!!!
We're learning the art of organization and cleanliness in preparation of my super organized/Martha Stewart like mother-in-law coming to visit Saturday.
In other words...life skills?
Hey there...I've been lurking on your site for a few weeks...trying to come up with some structure for my two year old over the next year. THANK YOU...wow...you are amazing, and have spent so much time thinking about how to teach your children, even while they are young! We actually live near the beach, so I'm planning on spending a lot of time on this topic. Thanks for your great ideas in regards to books. The library still intimidate me because there are SOOOO many choices. As I'm learning, you are helping me narrow them down. Great job...and thank you!
Post a Comment