Lessons from my girls
I thought I would share some of the lessons that I am learning from my beautiful daughters :-)
- I taught the girls a little sing-song, "When I fall down, I get back up again." This is always SUNG, by the way! This is normally sung after falling down, which seems to happen a lot around here LOL. They are still so young and, as can be common with toddlers and even preschoolers, they used to get emotional pretty easily when they fell down. It seemed to be out of embarrassment many times, so I taught them this song -- I guess about 6 months ago -- and they sing it at least once a day without fail! Even when I think they should be hurt from the particular fall they took, they always pop up with a smile and sing "When I fall down, I get back up again."
- Jordan has started to say the cutest thing! Whenever she gets hurt -- whether it is from "falling down" or if her and Cali get into a sibling squabble, or whatever it may be -- she looks at us, sometimes even with tears in her eyes, smiles and says, "Accidents happen. . . But I'm STILL Happy!"
What is this teaching me? Isn't it obvious? :-) We can CHOOSE to still be happy -- still experience JOY -- even in the midst of heartache, life troubles, hurts, disappointments, etc; What a powerful message! I pray that she continues to see life this way! I do want to make sure she knows it is OK to be sad sometimes and that she doesn't always have to be so "tough," and I really think she knows that. It is just her choice to still smile. . . and I LOVE THAT!
- Cali has also started to say the cutest thing! :-) Whenever she does something really good -- like help us when we haven't asked her to, answers a question correctly, throws a ball, whatever it may be -- she literally BEAMS and says, "I'm AWESOME!"
What is this teaching me? Again, I think it is pretty obvious! As long as this is kept in check -- which it is, because she only does it when she is expressing happiness with something she has done well, not in a "I am better than you way" -- it is such an AWESOME Mantra to have! How many of us have negative tapes in our heads, telling us: "You're not good enough," "You're not pretty enough," or "You're stupid?" I know I have many negative tapes myself and I can only imagine how different my self-concept would be and how many stupid actions I would have spared myself from (trying to gain approval from others) if I would have told myself and BELIEVED such a wonderful mental tape! Cali. . . You are AWESOME! :-)
So. . . What are your children teaching you?



4 comments:
Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm new to all of this (homeschool and blogging too). So...I hope it's ok if I keep checking in here (and posting comments occaisonaly:-).
My daughters are 2yrs and 3 months.
My 2 year old is in major immitation mode. Sometimes it scares me how she picks up on things that I do. Sometimes though, it's fun. If I walk on my tiptoes....she'll walk on hers. If I skip around the house, she will follow skipping also. It's a heavy thing to carry though, that another person is imitating you. It reminds me of 1 Corinthians 11:1 where Paul says, "Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ". I have to daily ask myself, am I imiting Christ, so that my daughter is also immitating Him?
My 3 month old has an incredibly sweet disposition. Her greatest desire right now is for someone to look at her so she can share a smile. She reminds me to sit down for a few minutes and enjoy her (or another person's) presence.
Aren't children wonderful?
I was here Rachel! I am touched by your hospitality. Its a blessing knowing you. I hope you dont mind me learning from you especially that Im still starting my homeschooling journey. See you in my homeschooling blog: www.homelife.blogsome.com
Thank you oh so very much for your wonderful reply:-) OK, so...I feel like I am headed in the right direction...yay! I have so much to say, but I don't think I'm going to. I already do a lot of things with my daughter that you also do...I guess I just never looked at it as "teaching" her. My goal right now is to be more intentional about using and creating opportunities to teach her through play and our every day lives. We cook all the time. So, you've already given me ideas on introducing so many concepts through our cooking time.
I just downloaded probably 8 or so HSS such as Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom; Brown Bear, Brown Bear; Ellen Stoll Walsh unit (the Mouse paint, count, and shape boks); Feathers for lunch; and so on. I'm waiting on my teachers manuel for BFIAR. I'm excited about that!
This is what I'm "planning" for August. Our theme is Animals. She LOVES doggies (has two she sleeps with, and many others she would Like to sleep with)...so I plan on spending at least a week reading books with doggies in them (and reading TO her doggies). I also want to have a doggie picnic outside for lunch one day. The other weeks, we'll find books on other animals, such as horses, bunnies, and birds. Without seeing the guide yet, I'm planning on doing "owl babies" with BFIAR. We'll see. I also want to have an "animal journal" where we can write down and draw (or find) a picture of animals we see throughout the day for the month.
Each month I was going to also have a few letters and numbers we focus on (finding words that start with that letter....well...first just find the Letter around the house and while we're out).
I think the most important part for me is working on character traits I can also tie into scripture. This big one right now is sharing (tough to learn, you know?).
Anyway...now I'm just randomly typing my thoughts. I just want you to know that I appreciate you taking the time to share more how you do it:-) I would love to be a fly on your wall and watch you interact with you girls all day. It sounds like you guys have so much fun!!!! I can't wait to embark upon this more with my daughter and find fun opportunities for her learn. Thank you!!!!
(I have a fussy baby right now, so i didn't go back and read to see if this made sense or had spelling errors...sorry if it was a bit choppy)
Rachel, I love LOVE this entry! It is so true that our kids teach us such wonderful lessons. So true and so sweet! :)
Post a Comment