Thursday, February 25, 2010

Our Science Plans

I am really excited about our upcoming "year" that begins in a few weeks. Along with our sweeping overview of American History that I posted about earlier, we will be studying Human Anatomy in depth.

The girls absolutely LOVED learning about the Human Body as part of NOEO Biology I this past year, so I decided to take a whole year and go in more detail and include more hands on projects. After debating over various spines, I decided to stick with the Usborne First Encyclopedia of the Human Body again, even though we just finished reading it in December. It is really well done and since we didn't have a working computer at the time, we were not able to utilize the Internet links the book provides, so this will definitely add a different element.

We will be looking at all of the major systems of the body, with varying amounts of detail. The two units I am looking forward to the most are about nutrition (tying in with the digestive system) and reproduction. The girls started asking a lot of questions recently about babies, which definitely kicked up during the holidays when they saw Nanny Dani's adorable pregnant belly. We will be using the God's Design for Sex series, along with a few good picture books I found at the library, that will focus on age appropriate information and on the miracle of life.

I am sure you were expecting it, since I shared my "pitch" for American History, so here is the corny, catalogy-sounding description of our science plans for the upcoming year that I put together for my husband, who does such a wonderful job of smiling and putting up with my dorkiness! Love you, baby!


Fearfully and Wonderfully Made
A Human Anatomy Course for Young Scientists

Investigate, discover and explore the intricacies of the human body and learn how truly wonderfully we were created! This year long course will focus on our body’s systems, senses, parts and needs. Utilizing popular children’s literature, vivid picture books, entertaining and enlightening videos, and picture filled children’s encyclopedias, your future scientist or doctor should find plenty to feed their delights!

This year course is divided into six, six week blocks, giving ample time to discover each topic and avoid burnout. Unit topics include: Cells – the Building Blocks of Life, The Beautiful Brain and Nervous System, Our Magnificent Muscles and Strong Skeletal System, Respiration and Circulation – Pretty Important Stuff, The Miracle of Me, and Nutrition – Fueling My Body for Service.

Living books will be your guide on this exploration. The basic “spines” that you will refer to throughout the year, Usborne’s First Encyclopedia of the Human Body, has been specifically chosen for its gentle, age appropriate information and pictures. Supplementing this selection is the DK Guide to the HUMAN BODY, which will be used mainly for additional pictures and any delight directed rabbit trails you encounter!

The rest of the literature package includes selections from the Magic School Bus series, Lets Read and Find Out Science series, Young Genius books, and children’s picture books that are sure to make science a joy. You will finish the year with a unit on nutrition, the food pyramid, menu planning, healthy grocery shopping and nutritious cooking. Come enjoy science with us this year!

1 comments:

ChristinaB said...

Hello Rachel I just recently found your blog and I noticed in your post that you used Noeo science this year. I am considering buying Noeo physics for my son this year and would LOVE to know what you think of it!

ChristinaB