Friday, March 5, 2010

Cali the Prayer Warrior

Cali, better known as Cali Bug around these parts, is our goober girl. She lives to make other people laugh. She is constantly making funny faces (most frequently involving crossed eyes and her tongue out), doing funny dances, attempting to tell jokes (that actually aren't jokes at all but gotta love the effort), laughing and saying, "Get it?!?"

But don't let that spirited, spunky, silly exterior fool you. And don't be tempted to see the occasional rule pushing and look at the just-turned-four-baby-of-the-family-so-I-whine-to-get-attention personality trait (although Mommy and Daddy are working hard on that, as it recently has reared its oh so pleasant head again) and assume she doesn't have powerful spiritual insight to share. My little fireball has a huge spiritual gift of prayer!

Whenever she makes the wrong choice, she says an impromptu prayer asking for forgiveness almost immediately (or whenever she realizes it is the wrong choice). When she wants something really bad, she prays to God for it. When she sees someone hurting, she prays for them. Sometimes she prays for the silliest things that I know just makes God giggle (I tell my girls that the highest form of joy is a giggle and since God IS joy, that He giggles whenever He sees them doing something that really touches His heart!) -- such as her favorite famous prayer, "Dear God, I want to play a game. In Jesus' Name, Amen."

A sweet memory I think I will always carry with me is Ms. Kelly, the Preschool Director at our church, coming up to me a few weeks ago. Gregg and I serve there, so we know her pretty well. That day they were having a special time with the children, making cards and praying for Little Bekah who is a 3 year old who already lost an eye to cancer and is still battling for her life.

Ms. Kelly came up to me and told me that she had to hold back tears while praying with Cali. She said that she was able to pray with several of the children as she went around the rooms, and most of the children didn't really understand what they were doing, or it didn't really touch their hearts -- but that Cali GOT IT! She said her little prayer was so heartfelt and full of love, and that she could tell that Cali prays a lot. Ms. Kelly said that it really touched her heart, and as her Mama, I must say I beamed extra bright at the wonderful compliment she bestowed upon my "sweet potato girl".

Cali is a tough cookie who can be feisty and isn't afraid to let her desires known -- sometimes VERY strongly -- but that girl does have a soft heart full of gold, and better still, full of God's love. I try to remember to turn to prayer often in life's events, and I try as often as possible to model that out loud, but I must admit that she has taught me (and reminded me) to do it at times I hadn't thought about.

I love you, Cali girl!


1 comments:

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

What a beautiful heart for prayer! It's obvious that you and Gregg have shown her that prayer is a part of LIFE, not just something you do before bed or before you eat. God wants us to talk with Him about everything and there is nothing too big or too little for Him.