Thoughts on The Ministry of Motherhood - Part 1
I know I said that my Science plans would be the next post but I just had to share something.
I am reading Sally Clarkson's Ministry of Motherhood. I knew it would be good -- but I had no clue how good!
I chose to read this book first, over her others, because this one dealt with the GIFTS that she talks about in Educating the Wholehearted Child. That is one section of that book that I just didn't really understand or grabbed onto as I would have liked.
Ministry of Motherhood is totally inspiring me, and it has me diving into His Word so much -- and I am only in the Introduction!!! At the end of each section there are Study Notes and Questions, and they are so rich that I have had to take only one question a day!!! Yesterday I took 5 pages in my journal to answer the many parts to Question 1. Today was 3 1/2 pages for Question 2.
I want to share with you my insights into Question 2. The question was stated like this:
"Read Psalm 127:3 - if possible, in more than one translation. What does this verse imply about the Ministry of Motherhood?"
I grabbed 4 versions that I had closest to me (NIV, NLT, NRSV, and a New Translation of the Hebrew Text Torah that we picked up at our library book sale for an additional resource for the Old Testament), along with The Bible Knowledge Commentary Old Testament and Eedrmann's Bible Dictionary.
Here is what I found (emphasis mine):
NIV - Sons are a heritage from the LORD; children a reward from him.
NLT - Children are a gift from the LORD; they are a reward from him.
NRSV - Sons are indeed a heritage from the LORD; the fruit of the womb a reward.
Tanakh/Torah - Sons are the provision/heritage of the LORD; the fruit of the womb, His reward.
Bible Knowledge Commentary OT - Children are evidence of God's providence. Children are some of the Lord's providential blessings. They are a reward from the LORD.
Eedrmann's Bible Dictionary defines reward- The idea of God's reward being given in response to the faithfulness of his people is explicitly stated as early as the Abrahamic covenant. But already there it is made clear by the context that the reward is not deserved from God, but is rather an expression of God's grace toward the human covenant partner whom God has chosen. The reward is intended, nonetheless, as a motivation to faithfulness.
Old Testament examples:
- Ruth rewarded for joining herself to Israel (Ruth 2:12)
- Saul hoped David might be rewarded for being faithful and sparing his life (1 Sam 24:19)
- People of God rewarded for keeping God's laws (Ps 19:11, Prov 13:13) and for righteousness (Ps 18:20, 58:11, Prov 11:18)
- Where nature of the reward is specified it is most often prosperity and security in the land. (Exod 20:12, Lev 25:18-19, 26:3-12)
In New Testament contexts, the reward intended is simply God's gift of eternal salvation (Matt 25:34, Rev 11:18)
*** I believe God is showing us that children are VERY important to Him! They are the next generation; they are open and willing vessels that will be filled - either by us with His Word and love OR with what the world says!
Children are:
- His heritage -- and ours!
- His reward -- and ours!
- A sign/proof/evidence of His provision -- a gift, like grace, we cannot/do not earn or deserve!
- A motivation for faithfulness to Him - for the true, wonderful blessing He has bestowed on us - for counting us as worthy to bring them up in Him and for Him.
- Children are listed as a reward in all of the translations I studied. What I found to be the most interesting is that in the Old Testament, reward is most commonly linked to prosperity and security in the land (something that no one would dispute is important and a blessing) and in the New Testament, it is most commonly linked to God's gift of eternal salvation -- there is nothing better or more of a blessing!!
- God lists children in His Holy Word as being worthy of the same description -- reward -- as prosperity, security and salvation!



1 comments:
Hi Rachel! I love Sally Clarkson and her books! She is so inspiring! I have read the one you are talking about and just hearing your thoughts; I am stirred up to read it again. (except it will have to be after her newest one Dancing With My Father...I won it!!!) So far it is very good (as usual) Have a sweet day with your blessings. =0) Kelly
Post a Comment