God is Good, All the Time
He really makes us laugh sometimes! About a month ago, we were passionately praying for a job opportunity that DH was interviewing for that seemed to be perfect for us. It would have him home by 5:00 everyday (working 7-4) as opposed to the long hours where some nights he would work until after midnight finishing up work papers for clients during busy season. It would have limited travel and while it was still an hour away from home, they had a van share program where they rode together and cut down on the cost of the commute.
Well, we didn't get that job and I can admit now that I was angry with God. He can handle your anger, as long as you bring it to Him and talk with Him about it (don't just keep it inside. He knows all your thoughts anyway, so why not talk it out with Him?). I did still pray and talk to Him, but my prayers were just shorter as I held onto a slight grudge, not understanding why He wouldn't want this for our family!?!
A little background, for those of you who may not know us well, Gregg (DH) entered graduate school to get his MBA back when we lived in NC. His first year in school was also the year we got married,
purchased our first house and found out we were pregnant! Two years later, he was still in school and we decided to move to Houston, Texas, which was much closer to family. He was then accepted into Tulane's MBA program, which is an amazing opportunity, especially since he plans to go on to get his PHD and Tulane is very well respected. The problem?? It is a lock step program where credits do not transfer, so we were back to the drawing board for another two years, with classes every other weekend! During this whole time, he has worked as an auditor for a Big 4 public accounting firm which means frequent traveling for weeks at a time and long hours at the office. There would be times when he would travel out of town all week to fly in to go to school on the weekend and fly back out on Sunday. It has been a difficult few years, and here we are with his LAST WEEKEND of school this weekend (he has a trip to China with the class in a few weeks and then a weekend to debrief from that but this is the last weekend of classes) and being presented with an opportunity for him to be home by 5:00-5:30 every day.... and we don't get it? Did we not pray enough? Were we being punished for something? These were the questions I brought before Him during this time.
Looking back, I am sure it was like those times when my girls throw tantrums because I don't give them something that they want, even when I know that it isn't what is best for them, or because something else is much better.... He was just sitting up there, looking down at me and shaking His head at me with that grin because He knew what we didn't.
Fast forward a few weeks and Gregg is presented with another possible opportunity. It is really odd that it was even brought before us because they had already offered it to someone else!! They were waiting for her to accept the position but they had come across his resume and thought he was perfect for the job, much more qualified than the person they had actually offered it to. They decided to do a quick interview with him in the off chance that the woman did not accept the position. It went amazingly well and we discovered that this job would be only 30 minutes away from home, would have HALF DAY FRIDAYS EVERY WEEK (what?!?), very little travel and he would finally have his own office. Plus the job he would be doing is starting a new division where he would be able to create something, be challenged and really contribute! We just looked up and laughed.... He's funny sometimes.....
Last week they called and told us that the offer was officially rescinded (fancy word, huh? I had to look it up to make sure it was correct, but that's the word! Google it, ha!) and they wanted to bring him in for a second interview with the "big guy." This was scheduled for Friday morning. Gregg then got an email from his current boss asking for a meeting at the same time for something that sounded very odd. He called around and found out several friends were given the same meeting request at different times. My DH is a very smart guy (he has one and a half MBA degrees, he should be, huh? love you honey!) and he knew what was happening. Sure enough, they were having a large corporate layoff and he was one of the ones being let go. The company is going in a different direction and times are changing in that field... the other big companies had similar days that day. The meeting went well on Friday but you never know. We could be facing being without a job, at a time when tons of other people with similar qualifications were also without jobs, all competing for limited openings. What were we going to do? Would I have to go back to work? Would I be able to homeschool still? What did this mean? For some strange reason, while we asked these questions, we were not worried because we know our God, and He has never let us down. I might not always agree with His decisions at the time (because my way is always best, right?) but I know He wants what is best for us and for His kingdom.
So Monday morning rolls around..... DH's jaw is almost worn off from the grinding and we get a call from the recruiter with the offer! More money (which isn't the most important thing for us right now, but hey, it doesn't hurt!), a signing bonus (goodbye final credit card!), a real office, great benefits, and EVERY FRIDAY IS A HALF DAY!! We are officially going from a family that mostly had one parent with some frequent visits by the other, to one where not only will we have every weekend together but every Friday can be a park day or field trip together! The girls have NEVER had this, as he has been in school since they were born! This is a whole new world, and a brand new way of life opening up to them and our family!
Last night, at dinner celebrating, we wondered if we were going to discover we don't like each other lol.... this is going to take A LOT of getting used to, learning to actually live together. I will have to learn to let him make more decisions on the disciplining, housework, and all those other day to day things that I have done all by myself for the past few years, but what a wonderful journey we are about to embark on!
God is so good!! We just need to throw our hands up and truly let Him take the wheel because He knows all possibilities and wants what is best for us.... we can only guess at what we think will make us happy when He truly knows!!
SORRY this was so long, but this is why I haven't posted the past few days and I just had to share! If you are still with me (thank you family, as I am sure you are the only ones still reading!) I just wanted you to know that you can trust Him! It sounds so simple and I am sure many of you are saying, "No duh!" but some of you may need this reminder today. GOD LOVES YOU!!! GOD IS GOOD, ALL THE TIME..... WOO HOO!!
(Oh, and yes, I know no one really says things like "no duh" anymore, except for me, but I am just corny like that! My girls will roll their eyes at me when they get older like I do when I hear older people saying things like, "groovy" )




6 comments:
What wonderful new for your family! God loves to bless us in ways we can't begin to imagine!
I am so happy for you!! Were going through the similar situation with job opportunities. What a great reminder that God know's what is best and is good all the time!!
Blessings,
Crystal
HOORAY HOORAY!!! CONGRATS!!!
That is SO awesome!!! All that and half day Fridays?!
I am so excited for y'all, Rachel. Wow.
Love,
Marsha
PS It least "no duh" is better than "no doi"!!! What can I say? Us dorks must stick together!
Congratulations!!! And congrats on your transformation into a Prov. 31 woman. ;-)
How people live life without acknowledging and knowing God is beyond me! He is so awesome! He is so precious! He is so personal! He is so near!
Celebrating with you!
Blessings!
Congratulations, Rachel! What a great opportunity for your husband and your family and what a good reminder that God does know best!
Post a Comment