Where do I homeschool...
The Heart of the Matter's Meme of the week is "Where do you homeschool?" That is perfect because I have been needing to post pictures of our new "Learning Room" that I discussed in my "Change, Change, Change" post.
So first I will talk about where we homeschool. Before the move into the bigger loft area, we rarely "did school" in the playroom. We would go up there for short periods for learning, and I would let them do a lot of free play up there, but it felt too cramped for me. Most of our learning was done at the kitchen table or snuggled on the sofa.
For the past two weeks, however, the majority of our time has been spent in what I affectionately call "The Learning Room." It has our desktop in there (so fingers pointing all over the screen won't drive me completely nuts, like it does on the laptops!) so we have been doing a lot of online games at pbskids and playhouse disney. It has a mounted tv where we watch out Veggie Tales (see my lovely post, Out of the Mouth of Babes, ha!), educational videos that go along with our units, and our awesome Leap Frog videos (I now have 4!). It has SOME of their books (we have a HUGE library of books spread throughout the entire house), tons of dress up clothes and other pretend play toys, a large collection of musical toys (most of which is hidden in the basket shown below), FOUR different kinds of block sets, math toys, phonics toys, handwriting/drawing toys, balls, bean bags, Mr. Potato heads, coloring books, puzzles, etc, etc, etc; And... my favorite part.... a very very comfortable overstuffed chair and ottoman that I got at a garage sale for $5, WOO HOO!
So, without further adieu, here are pictures from our lovely Learning Room.....
**Please note, I am horrible at hanging pictures --- really really bad at it --- so there is NOTHING on the walls because I am waiting for my wonderful DH to do it. He is almost done with his MBA and with traveling for work, so the walls should be full of our fun learning things in the coming weeks.**





12 comments:
What a great space for school! Thanks for sharing.
Wow, that looks fantastic~ even without pictures! I long for a room just for school. Maybe someday.....
That's a great place for schooling. My little ones enjoy Playhouse Disney online as well. Thanks for the peek into your school. Julie
I love your room. You have everything you need in one place! I know you feel blessed to have a place for your princesses to enjoy!
I cannot believe you got that chair for $5!! I love your schooling space. I'd love to just get my school stuff out of the kitchen. LOL.
It looks like the change was such a good one. That is such a large space with great light. When we begin homeschooling, it will be in the kids' playroom, which has lots of bookshelves and drawers, and we'll have the "craft" table in there for learning. Looking at all these pictures is getting me really excited to get started. Thanks for sharing!
Rachel, Thanks for stopping by my blog. I recently did a review of MUS. You can check it out on my blog. Go to my right sidebar and click on curriculum reviews. You might want to start your oldest with the Primer book if you decide to use MUS. Also, get the free DVD, I have the link on my post.
I found MOH to be great for Grades 4 or 5 through 9th. I started using it with my 7 yo this year and he lost interest right away.
Great pics of your learning room!
Rachel, I don't start the classic foundations until 1st grade. Since your Daughter is so young, you might want to start with the Primer. I did primer with my now 7 yo. He's in the foundations book now. Foundations can be completed in 1-3 years, depending on the child. Hope that helps!
Room to roam and room to learn! Great space, Rachel!
I save the picture hanging for hubby too. :-)
Nice... its so open... I love that... This has been fun looking over everyones spaces!
Lisa~
How fun to have a loft! Your learning area looks great!
WOW - - I am TOTALLY at a loss for words when it comes to that beautiful chair. Five dollars? Dang.
The rest of the room is lovely. Thanks for sharing!! : )
Post a Comment