Wednesday, February 20, 2008

HOTM Meme: Favorite Homeschool Product

The Heart of the Matter's Meme for the week is What is your Favorite Homeschool Product. To be honest, I almost didn't participate this week because I don't really use a lot of "products" at this stage. But we are learning everyday, and are "homeschooling," so I guess I will talk about what has been my favorite FINDS since starting this journey.

Right now, I would have to say that HomeschoolShare is definitely my favorite FIND that I am currently using. It is a literature based unit study curriculum that is FREE and online. Once you figure out how to find all the goodies on this site (it has so much information, way more than just unit studies!) I DARE you to look up a topic that you want to study and not find a book, unit or lap book done for you to use!! I have been posting about it a lot lately, I know, but hey, they asked! :-) I will spare all of you loyal readers from hearing me ramble on about it for the fourth time this week, but for all first time visitors, please see my post Cinderella, Cinderella to hear about the fun we had this week, thanks to HomeschoolShare!!!

My favorite FIND that I just read and can't wait to start implementing it The Heart of Wisdom Teaching Approach! This book is AMAZING!! It is a lesson in biblical history in the beginning -- I learned so much about the bible and my faith it is incredible -- and the second part is about the teaching approach. It really and truly is an approach. While she has unit studies to purchase, she lays everything out for you, holding your hand through making your own unit studies. And not just in a way that makes you feel "Yeah I can do this." No, she gets you EXCITED about doing it on your own! I just finished it and am unable to put into words exactly what this book has meant to me, but I recommend everyone to go out and read it..... It will bless your socks off!!

My favorite FIND that I can't wait to use (we will begin in the fall) is Bright Beginnings Preschool program! (There has been some confusion.. this is NOT the Letter of the Week program, although that is cool, too. This is a textbook program!) My lovely DH gave it to me for Christmas, and I am really looking forward to using it next year. It is a complete program... the only thing to add would be reading instruction if you are ready for that (we are and will be using Reading Made Easy). This is a wonderful Christian based program! I just took it out again to start planning for next year, and got excited all over again! I cannot do it justice, so please see this detailed review at Rainbow Resource.


So, what is your favorite homeschool product??

16 comments:

Daisy said...

I've really been wanting that HOW book. Everytime I go to buy it at cbd, it's out of stock so it must be a big mover! I'm going to get it!!

Lisa~ said...

I am enjoying seeing what others faves are! So much I have not ever heard of before.... and then some I have... and or have it *Ü*

Fun...

Lisa

Anonymous said...

I love the Letter of The Week by the BB folks. I was looking at this also but I think it starts at age 4 so I went with Heart of Dakota which has another wonderful preschool curriculum that we will start this year. Thanks for sharing, Rachel.It's so cool to see what others have discovered.

Celly B said...

Rachel,
I've seen the Heart of Wisdom book and thought it looked interesting. Now that you've recommended it so highly, I'll definitely check it out.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know, Rachel. BB stands for Brightly Beaming. Sorry I didn't clarify. I have looked at Bright Beg. for a while from their site and RR. It looks great and I can't wait to read your review after you start! :-)

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, Homeschool Share ROCKS!!! I used some of their stuff for our Chocolate Unit! Very Helpful!!

I went to your Cinderella post - - WOW, KUDOS to your hubby for dressing up (in a TUX, no less) and having a Ball with his daughter!!

Thanks for sharing....that was fun!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Liz said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

I recently discovered Homeschool Share and I plan to utilize it. Those Bright Beginnings books look interesting. Perhaps my library can get them for me so I can preview them. I'm not doing many preschool skills at this time as my son is 5.5 and my daughter is 22 mo., but I'm already thinking ahead for next year. I loved doing preschool with my son (and those years passed by too fast!) and I look forward to incorporating my daughter into more of our school time next year. I love your blog, by the way. And your Cinderella unit looks like it was so much fun, esp. with 2 little girls!

JoAnn said...

I've been wanting to read HOW for a couple of years. I should get around to it before summer and before I buy next year's curriculum.

Anonymous said...

This has been a fun meme. Great post. I scrolled down and read a few more & I have to tell you that I love lapbooks, too. They're really great!

Happy Homeschooling!

Anonymous said...

Wow, the homeschool share website is great! You were right; they have so many resources for FIAR. Thank you so much for sharing!

Amy :)

Liz said...

I just wanted to add, that even though I've heard of HOW, I never did that much research on it until today. I had no idea that it is utilizes the Charlotte Mason method. I've requested a copy of the book through my library (try before you buy... my motto). Hopefully they can get it for me. Thanks for sharing.

Mommy Reg said...

I love checking out what others are using. I am going to have to check this out, I love free resources.
Thanks for visiting my blog today. Blessings!

Tina in WA said...

Homeschool share is GREAT!

Thanks for sharing your other resources. :o)

~Tina

Sprittibee said...

I love HOW, too. Educating the WholeHearted Child by the Clarksons is also good (a must have).

Thanks for the note and I'm sorry we missed each other, too! Maybe next time!

Kimi Smith said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.