Wednesday, January 2, 2008

From Good to Great in 2008

In a sermon I heard recently, the pastor used Jim Collins book Good to Great as the inspiration for their church focus for the upcoming year. He said that many of us have been blessed in so many ways in 2007, and we are doing good.... but, if we can get out of our Father's way, He can move us to GREAT in 2008!

Change is hard. I am stubborn! On the one hand, I think I am pretty easy and "go with the flow," but when it comes to those big decisions and commitments, I dig my heels in! How many blessings have I missed from my heavenly Father because I was standing in His, and my own, way?

My list of New Year's Resolutions are all things that I have been working on already. Some resolutions are old friends, others developed over the last year, but they are all struggles and strongholds in my life that I need to give over to Him. I try to maintain such a white knuckle grip on all of them, instead of TRUSTING control of my life and all of the issues and baggage that comes with it, little or big, into His very capable hands. Why is that? Do I honestly think I know better?

So, here is my list of New Year's Resolutions... beginning with the most important, which will affect all the others:

1) Every morning surrender control of my day to my Father, and live out my day for Him.
2) Start my day in the Word
3) Daily exercise
4) Keep Food Journal and stay within recommended calorie allowance.
5) Stretch myself out of my comfort zone -- as a contributor to Heart of the Matter, on this blog, and in reaching out to others in general.
6) Relax more in my homeschool. Realize that they are preschoolers and the point is to have fun and instill a love of learning!!!
7) Continue in my own "pursuit of Proverbs 31". This past year, I worked on expanding my cooking skills, trying new recipes and experimenting with new ingredients. While I will continue to do this, I am adding Gardening and Sewing into the mix. Originally I was going to take a year on each of these, but I think I will start with some basic sewing skills ( right now, I can't even sew on a button or hem a pair of pants!) and in the Spring, work more on basic gardening.
8) To not let my Gmail inbox grow to 6000+ again!!! Delete emails that I won't need again immediately and respond to emails as soon as possible!
9) Make time for myself. Know that it is ok to daily take some time to read for leisure, enjoy a bubble bath, or even watch some mindless television (gotta love TLC and HGTV!)
10) Look for opportunities, and make time for the ones I already have, to encourage and inspire other women, moms especially!

What are yours?

3 comments:

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

I am resolving to not resolve. :-) Just kidding. Actually, I have one major goal and that would be the same as your number one-- surrender each day to the Lord and begin the day in His Word!

If I can do that ONE thing, everything else will fall into place!

Oh but that one thing... my flesh is weak and my brain is stupid. I
"know" and yet I do not "do". Philippians 4:13 is what I cling to-- I can do ALL things through Christ which strengtheneth me. So *I* cannot do it alone and need to hand my burden and my days over to God.

Lisa~ said...

Hi... my name is Lisa and I just wanted to introduce myself. I’m a contributor to the heart of the matter and I realize I really don’t know you gals! I look forward to getting to know you and working on this new adventure!

my5wolfcubs said...

6000+ emails? I must tell my children that when they ask why I have over 500! :) I'm still working on your #6 -- homeschooling can be a challenge for anyone, but starting homeschooling when your children are itty-bitty has its own trials. You want to do everything NOW (btdt). Here is to a wonderfully fun and relaxed year of homeschooling!
Lee
PS I know Lisa from Heart of the Matter...now I must go see your intro & article!!