Thursday, January 31, 2008

Love for Little Einsteins


Can I just say again how much I LOVE Little Einsteins??


We are still trying to figure out exactly what "style" of homeschool we are... are we Christian Classical homeschoolers, Delight Directed, History or Literature driven Unit Study, or Eclectic homescholers? While the style and method are still unclear -- and, yes, I do know we have some time still :-) -- what I do know is that I want to instill a love of the arts into my girls.


I must admit, I was never really "into" classical music or really appreciated art until I started thinking about homeschooling and realized that I want something different for Jordan and Cali. While I have this desire to instill this love for the arts in them, it is the 'how-to' that has had me floudering. How do I teach them something that I do not know? And, how do I teach them the arts when the majority of the curriculum and books that I have seen for this bores me to tears??? Enter The Little Einsteins!!!


My girls LOVE this show! They get up and dance with June, sing with Annie, play pretend instruments with Quincey and wave their batons with Leo. They go around the house throughout the day "conducting" me! For Christmas and for Cali's birthday, they were given tons of Little Einsteins books and toys. The books are awesome -- they have musical ones that play classical music, they have ones that are geared to teaching you Social Studies and Science topics while incorporating beautiful artwork and musical terms, and they have REALLY COOL ones with Slideviewers! We have two of the ones with the slideviewers, one on Space and the other on Australia, and they have my three and two year old EXCITED to learn about the solar system, the planets, animals and the globe! All while dancing around like June and singing like Annie, I might add!!

This morning, after having them bring me two of the books to read, we sat down and went to Playhouse Disney's site to see what kind of games they had online for Little Einteins and had a blast reading more stories online, interacting with the characters, painting and playing music!!

I know there are a lot of educators out there who frown upon television viewing, but I just had to share how much we are enjoying using the Little Einsteins in our homeschool. It is most definitely delight driven, as they love it and think they are playing, but they are learning so much -- and to be honest, so am I!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I just sat down to look at some blogs and I find this - dd is watching Little Einsteins right now - she loves it too!

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

My boys were humming some classical piece the other day. My in-law's were quite impressed... until I told them "Tom & Jerry!" Maybe I should've just kept my mouth shut and expounded on the many benefits of home education! ;-)

Van said...

Reading your blog reminded me of the wonderful times I share with my sons when they were little. You are making such an investment into their lives. Keep on having fun and doing the things you do.

Unknown said...

I've learned that you dont have to "fit" into any homeschooling label. When I step back and look at it, what matters if we're learning AND having fun! :)

Btw, next time I'm in Houston.. and not for a funeral.. we'll have to get together! I wish I could hang with you and Sprittbee! (Btw, we do IMAX and that sort of thing when we're there.. so are you up for that?)

-Mandy

marine's words said...

I just found your blog and love it!!
my hats go off to all mommys that home school I don't think I could do that.I have my son in private school. Look forward to getting to know you. marina

Unknown said...

I so wish we had extra time to spend in Houston this time (we leave in about an hour) so we could hang out! Ah, before too long, hopefully!

MorningSong said...

So fun! My kids loved Einsteins too! I love that they recognize several classics and enjoy them, without realizing that fact. :)

Blessings to you!

Van said...

HI Rachel, I am looking forward to hearing about the pearl in your life. The stories on your blog about bring warm memories flodding back into my heart. One day your children will stand up and call you blessed.