Thursday, January 17, 2008

Note to self: Patience is a virtue....



I got a steal of a deal the other day at my local homeschool store! Jacqueline had told me about The Christian Mother Goose before, but at the time it was out of my budget (gotta love Dave Ramsey!) but I got it this weekend for $1!!!! I am leaving the price tag on this bad boy as a wonderful reminder that good things come to those who wait!

This book is so adorable and it works wonderfully with the Preparatory Curriculum at Letter of the Week. With this curriculum, every week we have a different theme and each theme has a Nursery Rhyme to go with it. I am not completely crazy -- I do read the real Nursery Rhymes to my girls and that is our primary focus, but it is really nice to then pick up this book and have a different take on it. This book has "over 150 Rhymes and Stories" and puts a Christian spin on all the classics that we love! For example, we were learning about Dogs last week. The Nursery Rhyme that the curriculum suggested was "Old Mother Hubbard." We printed the classic version of this story for our Learning Poster, but also read the Christian version which added a teachable moment.

Classic Version:

Old Mother Hubbard
Went to the cupboard,
To get her poor dog a bone;
But when she got there
The cupboard was bare,
And so the poor dog had none.
The Christian version added:
She went down the street
Her good neighbors to meet,
And they all gathered round her in prayer;
And when she got back,
She found bones in a sack
Saying, "God wants us all to share!"
Isn't that ADORABLE?!? And such a good lesson for all children to learn, in particular toddlers and preschoolers going through that lovely "IT'S MINE" phase, HA!

1 comments:

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

Oh now that is a wonderful addition! I'll have to keep my eye out for that book.