MORE Books?!?
Volunteering at Scholastic was a HUGE success!
For your work in the very hot warehouse, Scholastic "pays" you in credits for books -- $20/hour for the retail price of the item or $10/hour for the sale price of the item (the sale itself has items 30-50% off, but it actually works in your favor to go the retail route --believe me, I tried it both ways)!
I worked Friday from 1pm-7pm. I was blessed to work as a cashier, which meant that I was upfront, had a chair to sit in if it was slow (although I did very little sitting) and had two box fans on me, as well as being near the huge freight door. After the sale closed at 7pm, I was given time to shop, although I had been shopping a little all day by looking through items that people had decided against and checking out any bookshelves near my table. I assumed that I would just look around for maybe a half hour and then "check out" and go home... HA! 2 hours later I decided that it was time to go home and that I had looked enough -- I know I didn't get to see all they had out, but the Texan heat finally got the best of me. :-)
Wanna see what I got for my time??
- Owl Moon by Jane Yolen (Caldecott Medal)
- The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown
- Daisy Comes Home by Jan Brett (I love this author! We rowed this book during our China weeks. Great unit at HSS!)
- The Three Snow Bears by Jan Brett (Yeah! Adaptation of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, but set in the Arctic with an Inuit girl and snow bears)
- The Very Greedy Bee by Steve Smallman
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- Officer Buckle and Gloria by Peggy Rathmann (cute story about a police officer and his dog partner teaching safety tips)
- The Children's Book of Home and Family edited by William J. Bennett (The Introduction states: "all of these stories center around home or family life . . . providing a good way for adults and children to talk about beliefs they hold dear." VERY good selections!)
- Miss Spider's Wedding by David Kirk
- Angelina Ballerina - A day at Miss Lilly's based on the stories by Katharine Holabird
- Angelina Ballerina - Angelina at the Palace, story by Katharine Holabird
- Animal Strike at the Zoo, It's True by Karma Wilson
- Father Bear's Special Day by Else Holmelund Minarik
- My Big Book of Spanish Words by Rebecca Emberley (very cute and VERY colorful book that goes over all the basic words that we would want to cover during preschool!)
- Street Safety Hints (Very cute board book cut in the shape of the little girl on the cover. . . goes over safety tips for pedestrians, biking, driving, street signs and lights, etc)
- Fireman's Safety Hints (same as above, cut in the shape of the fireman on the cover. . . Great fire safety tips!)
And Finally, MY FAVORITE:
- A Princess Primer, A Fairy Godmother's Guide to Being a Princess from Dutton Children's Books
The Princess Primer is SOO cute! It is a huge tab book that goes over - in detail- how Princesses dress and act, what they look like in different countries, a HUGE picture of a palace with tabs to show you the different rooms inside, secret codes, the different parts of a Kingdom, how to get ready for and act at a ball, a section about the Royal Wedding (complete with a folder inside with invitations,reply cards, reception menu and recipe and vows) and finally, at the end a section titled Can You Be a Princess? I love the last sentence in this book --"For Remember this: A fairy godmother's magic is only as strong as her princess's belief in herself. . ." Too cute!
The reason I love Princesses so much is that I really want to impress on my girls that we really are all Princesses -- of the MIGHTY King!! And what girl (or woman) hasn't once daydreamed of what it would be like to wear a crown and live in a palace :-) This book is so awesome!
Well our new wonderful pool is calling my name . . . Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!



1 comments:
WOW! You did GREAT! I know you are so excited to expand your library with little out of pocket cash! Isn't it awesome to see how God blesses us when we are trying to operate in HIS "economy"! I know you guys have made alot of sacrifices to be debt free and it looks like the Lord is guiding and providing!
Post a Comment