Tuesday, May 13, 2008

You know you are a homeschool Mom when. . .

Yes, I am a homeschool Mom... I have completely embraced it. How do I know? Well, my birthday was a couple weeks ago and I got a belated birthday card with $25 in it from my wonderful Grandpa. I had visions of spending it this weekend on skin care products (I used to sell Arbonne and use all that stuff, yet somehow I allowed myself to go to drug store face wash, no toner and store brand moisturizer the past few years, blah!) and maybe combining that with my wonderful Dave Ramsey "Blow Money" that I will get on payday (Thursday) to get some makeup as well.

Those were lovely visions.... but then I got an email about a Used Curriculum and Book Sale at our local homeschool store today. I decided to check it out, thinking I might get a couple books and really get to browse people's books to see the products I have been thinking about. So we drove out there at 9am today, and I loaded my darling girls into the double stroller to start "Browsing."

I think I made it to the second table before breaking out my lovely envelope with my treasured $25! By the end of the journey, I had also dug into my change stash in my wallet and written a $7.10 check that will end up being cashed on payday, thus coming out of my wonderful "blow money." Oh well -- it was SOOO Worth it!!

Wanna see what I got for $34.60?

  • The Magic School Bus Inside the Earth
  • The Magic School Bus Lost in the Solar System (I also have this one on tape thanks to Discovery channel)
  • The Magic School Bus Meets the Rot Squad (have this one on tape, too!)
  • The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body (Yep, this one, too!)
  • Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
  • Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans
  • The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck by Beatrix Potter
  • Jamberry by Bruce Degen
  • The Berenstain's B Book
  • Frog and Toad are Friends by Arnold Lobel
  • It's About Time, Jesse Bear and Other Rhymes by Nancy White Carlstrom (I love this series, which I found thanks to Before Five in a Row!)
  • The Hare and the Tortoise by Brian Wildsmith
  • Richard Scarry's First Little Learners Colors
  • The Very Lonely Firefly by Eric Carle
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
  • Percival the Plain Little Caterpillar from Discovery Toys
  • Picture Me Cute As Can Bee
  • Moses Baby in the Bulrushes
  • Noah's Ark
  • Joseph and the King of Egypt from Guideposts
  • The Lord is my Shepherd, the Twenty-Third Psalm (cute illustrations and the psalm is broken down to a few lines per page, very sweet)
  • God Knows My Name by Debby Anderson
  • The Story of Mu-lan by Jean Fischer
  • Biscuit Finds a Friend, an I Can Read Book by Alyssa Capucilli (we found this series earlier this year for our Dogs unit and the girls loved him)
  • Dora's Color Adventure
  • It's Nice to be Nice
  • Pinocchio's Nose Grows, a Step into Reading Book
  • Draw with Jonah and Friends, a Veggie Tales book from Zonderkidz
  • Clifford's Birthday Treasury including 3 stories (Clifford's Birthday Party, Clifford the Small Red Puppy, and Clifford the Big Red Dog) by Norman Bridwell
  • Clifford The Firehouse Dog by Norman Bridwell
  • Clifford's Tricks by Norman Bridwell
  • What's Inside my Body? A First Guide to the Wonders and Workings of the Human Body, a DK book!
  • Children Just Like Me, another DK book that we LOVED when studying China
  • Celebrations from Children Just Like Me, another DK book that teaches the Festivals, Carnivals and Feast days from around the world
  • Five in a Row Volume 1 (woo hoo!)

and for FREE -- hey I love free stuff:

  • A thick Highlights magazine for Kids from February of this year
  • a Blue's Clues Clue into Safety coloring book
  • Some fun puzzle cards on the story of Noah's Ark. On the front is the story, broken down into small, easy to read pieces, and the back has part of a big picture that you need to put together of Noah and the animals on the ark... ok, so it looks like I might not have taken the time to grab ALL of the pieces, but I got most of them! he he
So, who needs good skin and a pretty face when you can have tons of fun books to read?!?

Yep, I'm a goner.........

3 comments:

Tonia said...

Woohoo! Love good deals like that!

I know what you mean about how you spend money now - instead of "stuff" for me I told dh I wanted a book on nature study for Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

Rachel, you got some great books! Way to go! :) I also would rather spend my money on books than just about anything, lol!

Oh, and I had to tell you, about the pet store - you are right it is a fabulous field trip! Along the same lines, when we did our creation study and the week we learned about birds I looked up an "exotic bird store" in our area and we visited there for free! It was pretty neat to see alllll the different types of birds! Just another thought for you! :)

Candace

Anonymous said...

Is there a place for us? Or a books anonymous group or something? ;) I do the same thing. For Christmas I got a gift card to the bookstore and to Target. Which one do you think is spent? I still have no idea what to buy at Target.