Recap and Looking Forward....
Sorry for neglecting my blogging duties :-) It has been a very full week! DH has been home in between jobs and we are loving having him home!
We have gone to the Children's Museum, Story time, Chuck E Cheese, and the park. We've fed ducks, had a playdate here at the house, played board games, read books and had lots of outdoors time! We have been bonding as a family and it has been wonderful to have someone else here to help with disciplining the girls. They are very well behaved and so sweet, but they are preschoolers and love to push their limits at times. Alone for much of the discipline, I have had to choose my battles, but now it is no longer two against one..... as I told them last night at dinner, A New Day is Dawning!! HA!
In the midst of this, I have also been sick with a cold and I managed to break my camera (grrr). The good thing about being sick is that I have been able to do a lot of planning, which is my favorite hobby! I love to make schedules and plan for the future..... sticking with said plans is the challenge, but I enjoy it. During this latest planning session, I was able to look at what units I would like to do from Before Five in a Row and Homeschool Share's Level A units. That will take us to the summer, at which time we will start our official Preschool year! I have decided to do a combination of Bright Beginnings and Five In A Row. I was planning on waiting until K for FIAR, but the site says that it is geared for ages 4 to 8. I was feeling really torn about preschool because I love the units we are doing now, but also love the complete preschool curriculum of Bright Beginnings, so combining them will be a perfect fit for us! I am very excited!
I am really excited about this week and hope to have a camera to show some pictures! We are studying Berlioz the Bear, a musical book about a bear orchestra by Jan Brett, and Zin Zin Zin a Violin, as well as homes, ladybugs and birds. Berlioz is our main topic of the week and Zin Zin Zin a Violin is a supplement to it. We are finishing up our nature study on ladybugs through the book The Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle. I decided to add in the study on Homes from Bright Beginnings this week because we have several houses in our section of the neighborhood in varying stages of construction and with DH home to help me show them, it will be great.... and birds was added on by discovering a beautiful birds nest in our tree in the front, so we are talking about birds and how a nest is a bird's home!
Today we read Berlioz and found Germany on the globe and watched the Reading Rainbow episode of Zin Zin Zin a Violin that also showed a children's orchestra and Stomp. We discussed why God gave us homes, drew a picture of our house and did some fun role playing (if I wanted to eat, what room of the house would I do that in? If I wanted to take a bath? If I wanted to sleep?). Then we talked about how birds make their home in a nest and discussed how birds have feathers, beaks and feet. Tonight we are going to make Rice Krispie treat nests!
Isn't homeschool fun? Have a wonderful week!!



2 comments:
Sounds like you guys are having some major fun with Dad and getting to plan too! I always enjy when Dh can come and be apart of our activities! It takes a load off us too!
Continue to have a wonderful week!
How do you plan??? What do you use to plan?? Do you write it down?
Post a Comment